6.19.2009

Obliterated!!!

Well hello blogstalkers! I have some interesting news! Nate and I are housesitting for my aunt and uncle this month and have recently secured housing for the rest of our stay here in Utah! We're very excited! It's an apartment in a fourplex. An upper unit with 2 rooms, covered parking, w/d hookups, and many other amenities. I don't want to make you too jealous! WE'll be located close enough to Nate's bus route and we're about 10 minutes from one of my employers. But here's the best part and the reason for the pictures below! We've been moving things out of our storage shed and into the apartment. We've tried to get as much stuff we can move with the x-terra out. All we have left to move tomorrow is our bed, our couch, our recliner, and the washer and dryer. We made good progress.

Today, we were making our last trip from the shed to the apartment. We had our kitchen table, tall bookshelf, and two table chairs tied into the back of the x-terra. The load didn't quite fit in the back or the car so we tied them down and the rear door. We were somewhat precarious and therefore Nate was worried about our route. He hopped in the car while I proceeded to lock up the storage shed. When I had unlocked the storage shed I had set my keys and the lock on the X-terra in the little pocket area behind the rear wheel as demonstrated in the pic below.
Well, after locking up the shed, I left my keys in said pocket. Unbeknownst to Nate and I, we drove off with our precarious load toward the secured apartment. We decided to take the interstate (less stopping and/or bumps, less of a chance to get pulled over). About 2 minutes into our trip, we heard my keys fall off the car onto the road. Nate pulled over and chivalrously ran to retrieve them. Keep in mind my keys look like this: (I never had a reason to take a before picture, or an opportunity...) purple/magenta carabiner, one key ring with an Audrey Hepburn key chain and my house key, my house dead bolt key, and my aunt and uncle's key, another key ring with my car key, the storage shed lock key, my Orem Fitness Center pass, and my smith's card. Nate arrived at the keys but they were in the middle of the slow lane. As soon as he arrived he saw one of these approaching:

And he knew that would be bad news. Well, my keys were obliterated. The carabiner ended up in three parts, Audrey was smashed, my OFC pass gone, and two keys (house key and Aunt and Uncle's key) mauled. See pics below.

This ring is missing my OFC pass. Luckily, the car key still works because these ones are supposedly expensive to replace. The key ring itself is somewhat misshapen as well.

This key ring is missing Audrey (tear), and obviously, the key part of the two key heads.

This picture shows the missing carabiner.

Now I have no idea what to do. I've had this set of keys/key rings/carabiner since Nate and I got married and now I hafta restart?! *sigh* What's as classic as Audrey? Where am I going to find another one of those?! Or one that even compares?! Anyway, moral of the story, don't drop your keys on the interstate. Also, I'm sorry if you got a flat tire between the exits of 8th North and Center St in Orem today. You probably have part of my keys stuck in your tire...

3 comments:

Sarah Haynie said...

Wow, what a story! I am glad Nathan did not want to save the keys enough to run in front of the big rig.

Excited about your move. What is your address? Post some pics of your new home. LOL

Maria said...

moving away from us already? we just got started... Steve and I were working on a Sunday School lesson full of stories about people praying for lost keys and phones and then finding them.

KinseyBug said...

So...love this post and all your posts! Now, I have a request....can you put your vaca pics on here since I dont have a facebook anymore:) haha this is the only way I can see them. thanks <3